$52,000 Building Provided Auditorium And Much Needed Facilities
In 1880 the only
school for the children of Taylors, Chick Springs, and surrounding community
was situated just north of Chick Springs.
There was no place called
THE RAILS ARRIVE
A few years prior
to 1880 the
School in those
days was different from that of today.
There were no grades and outlined course of study. Every student was started in Webster’s Blue
Black speller. Before the pupils
finished school, they had to complete their speller,
The school was heated by a single barrel stove. When more wood was needed, some of the larger boys were sent out into the woods to get some.
School began about and lasted until three-thirty or . The teacher was elected to teach for only a few months. If a longer session was to be held, the teacher had to go around the community and secure subscriptions. An eight or nine months school was unthought of. The school usually ran four months in winter and two in the summer.
The trustees of the school at that time were Alfred Taylor, Robert Gibson, and H. M. Barton. The teacher was Miss Maggie Brown.
ATTENDED OLD SCHOOL
Some of the
attendants of the old school are still living in and around
The population of the community began to grow and in the early 1890’s the trustees and patrons recognized the need for a new school. About 1895 a three-room building was built as a community project. There was no sale of bonds, but every patron had to do his part. Some gave lumber, some money, and others served as carpenters.
The school moved to the present site in 1917. A two story brick veneer building was constructed. Quoting A.G. Taylor, a trustee at that time, “The trustees felt that the new school would prove adequate for all years to come.” The building contained four large classrooms, and an auditorium. Mr. Taylor has been a student, teacher, trustee, and patron of the school.
Mrs. Harvin, principle of the school at that time, succeeded in
placing the school on the state accredited list. The standards were raised but it was only a
few years until
In 1922 H. J.
Howard was made superintendent of the school.
Once again efforts were made to raise the standards of the school and
place it on the state accredited list.
This was done in 1923. Mr. Howard
In 1925 Mr. Dunn
After an absence
of four years Mr. Howard came back to
Many changes have
taken place since Mr. Howard’s return to
Due to the
erection of the Southern Bleachery and Piedmont Printworks, the attendance of the school began to gain in
leaps and bounds. Children from the
Brushy creek, Reids,
In 1933 there arose a need to serve some kind of lunch at school. This task was undertaken by the Domestic Science department. There was not enough available space and the school had practically no equipment, but the girls under the direction of a capable teacher managed to serve an attractive meal for the sum of 10 cents. This, however, proved to be another argument for a new building.
NEED MORE ROOM
In 1935 plans were started toward getting a new grammar school with an auditorium. The trustees, R. J. Stephenson, C. S. Hammett, and A. Alewine, along with every patron of the school put forth every effort for a new building. Success rewarded their efforts and the new building was secured as a PWA project. It cost about $ 52,000.
In the spring of 1936 the new building was on its way. Henry Trott, architect, drew the plans and the contract was given to Gallivan Construction company. The building was completed in August. The old building that was erected in 1917 was torn down. This gave more space for playground activities.
The new building
is one that every person in
The school is still progressing. A full time art and writing teacher is employed. Public school music has been added to the grammar school course of study. In the High school are also changes: Typing, manual arts, a good business course, chorus work, physical education, and many other activities have been added to the course of study. The school has been very fortunate in securing a full-time athletic director.
The faculty is as follows: H. J. Howard, superintendent; I. H. Ours, principal; Smith Carter, English, history; Lyles Alley, science, physical education; Mattie Lee Cox, French, algebra; Sara Stewart, home economics; Lyda Lee, typewriting, music; Josephine Inabinet, English, library; Jeanette Floyd, seventh grade; Rosa Lanford, sixth grade; Maggie Castles, fifth grade; Mrs. Thomas Taylor, fourth grade; Edyth Thurston, third grade; Robbie Harris, second grade; Mrs. Bessie Hutchins, first grade, and Lillian Jeter, art and writing.